What trigger do you use?

Firearms, Ammo, Equipment
Vitaly
Site Admin

What trigger do you use?

Post by Vitaly »

I use Geissele Super 3 Gun trigger. I like it but had several 2-3 round bursts when I tried to pull the trigger slowly.

What trigger do you use and why? 1-stage or 2-stage?
Attachments
ar15_geissele_trigger.jpg
ar15_geissele_trigger.jpg (44.7 KiB) Viewed 6410 times
MartinThaler

Re: What trigger do you use?

Post by MartinThaler »

I like to use two stage triggers. They give me a good amount of safety (sear engagement) while still providing a very crisp break. Funny enough, currently I'm running Triggertech Adaptable triggers in my competition AR's. They are technically no 2 stage triggers (no reduction of sear engagement during takeup to the wall) but actually feel like one, with a exeptionally crisp break. But they use a different approach to how the sear surface engages, so they are pretty safe while still having a very light pull.
I also used Geissele 2 stage triggers before, but didn't like their characteristics, especially on the enhanced models. They got too much force to overcome until you're at the wall, and then a very light wall. I prefer to have the takeup and wall similar in weight (close to takeup/wall 50/50, instead of 60/40 or even 70/30), so I can keep the trigger prepped at the wall and don't have to worry about accidently pulling through when I take a step etc. or when I reset the trigger during recoil when under stress.
However I got a basic two stage model in my "tatcical" AR15, with a harder disconnector spring. This way you get a harder wall and (for me) more balanced trigger characteristics.

The triggertech feels more like a 20/80 or 30/70, but I prefer that to the other way round. I also put in the trigger spring differently, so I got a little more force to overcome during takeup.
Also the triggertech is intersting for shortstroking PCCs, since it seems to need the least amount of bolt travel to reset/cock, from all triggers I've ever tested, so you probably don't have to modify the cocking ramp on the bottom of the Bolt(carrier).