Laser pointers allowed?

Rules
Konstantin.Taran

Laser pointers allowed?

Post by Konstantin.Taran »

I haven't found any mention of laser pointers in the rules, so I guess they are allowed?

But IMO it's a cheating - it lets you do a first shot from a hip level.
Shooter can precisely point it to a target before COF start.

Also it allows "stage hacking", i.e. shooting from positions not supposed to - without aiming, guiding only by the laser

What's your thoughts?
Tomahawk

Re: Laser pointers allowed?

Post by Tomahawk »

Konstantin.Taran wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:27 pm I haven't found any mention of laser pointers in the rules, so I guess they are allowed?
I guess too :)
Would like to try for a last months.
Vitaly
Site Admin

Post by Vitaly »

Why not? :)
Attachments
pcc_rules.png
pcc_rules.png (62.55 KiB) Viewed 12270 times
BjörnSvensson

Post by BjörnSvensson »

There is no doubt that according to the role book it is allowed to use a laser sight on a PCC. (As long as it is legal in the region where you are present)

But there is some things to take into account when using it!

The key in the usage of laser sight is...- what is taking "sight picture"?

In my opinion "taking sight picture" is that you with your eyes and your sights mounted on the gun determine where you aim and intend to hit. E.g you see with your sight where you point the gun before you fire the gun.

If you agree on this you then need to read rule 8.7.1:

8.7.1 Competitors are prohibited from taking a sight picture with a loaded firearm prior to the Start Signal.
Violation will result in a warning for the first occurrence and one procedural penalty for each subsequent
occurrence in the same match.

In my opinion this means that it is not according to the rulebook to point on a target after LAMR and before the "beep" !
Vitaly
Site Admin

Post by Vitaly »

Glossary has following definition for aiming:

Aim / Aiming ...................... Aligning the barrel of a firearm at targets.
BjörnSvensson

Post by BjörnSvensson »

Yes thats true! I have seen that definition earlier also but aiming and talking sight picture is not the same thing.

You can aim without taking sight picture!
You can aim via using your sights and you can aim via your "mussle memory" without using your the sights attched to the gun/weapon.
MartinThaler

Post by MartinThaler »

Having used a laser personally, the ranges at which you can possibly hipfire efficiently from the start position are usually within the range where you don't really need a laser when you practice a bit and get a feeling for where the barrel points without veryfying the sights.
When you try to hipfire a more distant target from the start position, it's slower because recoil control isn't as good. Also, a lot of times you have to immediately start moving after the start signal. Tracking and shooting a target while you are moving is also a lot easier with your gun mounted properly, than firing it from the hip with a laser. And usually the same RO's that won't allow you to point a rifle at the first target from the hip, are the ones that won't allow you to place a laserdot onto the first target too. I've don it before. With, and without laser. Doesn't make a huge difference. Most of the time, RO's won't allow it, no matter if you're using a laser or not.

So if you are really worried about competitors hipfiring PCCs from the start with a laser, get better at mounting the gun and aquiring a good sight picture very fast. This will beat laser guys 9 in 10 times.
The only time lasers shine is indoors. They are nice to have for low ports or for hard weakhand-side leans around barricades as offsed reddot alternative. But ourdoors, you usually lose them very quickly, especially in sunlight.